From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nepomuk indexing, what triggers it?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 20:13:39
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:13 on Friday 19 November 2010, BRM did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > > My guess is that it scans every time you restart to be sure nothing
5 > > changed while it was shutdown. It doesn't know if you've dual-booted,
6 > > logged into xfce, mounted the disk in another machine, had fsck remove
7 > > files, etc.
11 > > I think Tracker behaves the same way in gnome-land.
12 >
13 > To add to it - Nepomuk has two parts (according to
14 > http://nepomuk.kde.org/node/2) that seem to be active in here:
15 > 1. Strigi -
16 > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Metadata/Nepomuk/StrigiServic
17 > e 2. FileWatchService -
18 > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Metadata/Nepomuk/FileWatchSer
19 > vice
20 >
21 > From the FileWatchService info:
22 >
23 > "However: due to the restrictions of all file watching systems available
24 > (systems such as inotify are restricted to 8000 something watches, fam
25 > does not support file moving monitoring, etc.) the service mostly relies
26 > on KDirNotify. Thus, all operations performed by KDE applications through
27 > KIO are monitored while all other operations (such as console commands)
28 > are missed."
29 >
30 > So it really does need to check up on things during restart to get back in
31 > sync, but also to find what it didn't know about from info not going
32 > through an interface it is aware of.
33
34 Well at least that explains the reason for the current state of affairs.
35 Thanks for the find.
39 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com