From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nepomuk indexing, what triggers it?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:41:18
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Sent: Fri, November 19, 2010 11:31:39 AM
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nepomuk indexing, what triggers it?
7 >
8 > On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
9 >wrote:
10 > > Hi all,
11 > >
12 > > Haven't had much luck finding this info:
13 > >
14 > > If I reboot this machine and start KDE, Nepomuk starts a rather long-lived
15 > > index of my home directory. It takes up about 30-40% cpu and lasts as much
16 >as
17 > > 15 minutes sometimes. This is annoying because after a reboot I usually
18 want
19 > > to catch up on mail, rss feeds and fire up VirtualBox. So nepomuk is just
20 > > wasting my time at this point.
21 >
22 > My /guess/ is that it scans every time you restart to be sure nothing
23 > changed while it was shutdown. It doesn't know if you've dual-booted,
24 > logged into xfce, mounted the disk in another machine, had fsck remove
25 > files, etc.
26 >
27 > I think Tracker behaves the same way in gnome-land.
28
29 To add to it - Nepomuk has two parts (according to
30 http://nepomuk.kde.org/node/2) that seem to be active in here:
31 1. Strigi -
32 http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Metadata/Nepomuk/StrigiService
33 2. FileWatchService -
34 http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Metadata/Nepomuk/FileWatchService
35
36 From the FileWatchService info:
37
38 "However: due to the restrictions of all file watching systems available
39 (systems such as inotify are restricted to 8000 something watches, fam does not
40 support file moving monitoring, etc.) the service mostly relies on KDirNotify.
41 Thus, all operations performed by KDE applications through KIO are monitored
42 while all other operations (such as console commands) are missed."
43
44 So it really does need to check up on things during restart to get back in sync,
45 but also to find what it didn't know about from info not going through an
46 interface it is aware of.
47
48 Ben