From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nepomuk indexing, what triggers it?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:31:46
1 On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Haven't had much luck finding this info:
5 >
6 > If I reboot this machine and start KDE, Nepomuk starts a rather long-lived
7 > index of my home directory. It takes up about 30-40% cpu and lasts as much as
8 > 15 minutes sometimes. This is annoying because after a reboot I usually want
9 > to catch up on mail, rss feeds and fire up VirtualBox. So nepomuk is just
10 > wasting my time at this point.
11
12 My /guess/ is that it scans every time you restart to be sure nothing
13 changed while it was shutdown. It doesn't know if you've dual-booted,
14 logged into xfce, mounted the disk in another machine, had fsck remove
15 files, etc.
16
17 I think Tracker behaves the same way in gnome-land.
18
19 > How does nepomuk know when to do it's thing, how can I tweak what it does and
20 > how can I discover why it feels it necessary to reindex my entire maildir when
21 > surely it has a perfectly valid index already from just before I shut down?
22
23 I am pretty sure it is tied to your KDE user session, and not running
24 as a system daemon in the background. Perhaps you can suspend it via
25 some autostarting script, and then resume it after whatever amount of
26 time you're comfortable with.
27
28 Looking in here:
29 http://api.kde.org/4.5-api/kdebase-runtime-apidocs/nepomuk/html/classNepomuk_1_1IndexScheduler.html
30
31 In the indexing speed settings, it says:
32 "
33 enum Nepomuk::IndexScheduler::IndexingSpeed
34
35 Enumerator:
36 FullSpeed Index at full speed, i.e. do not use any artificial delays.
37 This is the mode used if the user is "away".
38
39 ReducedSpeed Reduce the indexing speed mildly.
40 This is the normal mode used while the user works. The indexer
41 uses small delay between indexing two files in order to keep the load
42 on CPU and IO down.
43
44 SnailPace Like ReducedSpeed delays are used but they are much
45 longer to get even less CPU and IO load.
46 This mode is used for the first 2 minutes after startup to give
47 the KDE session manager time to start up the KDE session rapidly.
48 "
49
50 So based on that, for the first 2 minutes after KDE starts it should
51 be using the least aggressive indexing speed (but indexing
52 nevertheless).
53
54 (Personally I've always had all that indexing/social-semantic-desktop
55 stuff disabled completely.)