From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ZFS
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 04:13:10
1 >> Besides performance, are there any drawbacks to ZFS compared to ext4?
2 >>
3 > do yourself three favours:
4 >
5 > use ECC ram. Lots of it. 16GB DDR3 1600 ECC ram cost you less than 170€.
6 > And it is worth it. ZFS showed me just how many silent corruptions can
7 > happen on a 'stable' system. Errors never seen neither detected thanks
8 > to using 'standard' ram.
9 >
10 > turn off readahead. ZFS' own readahead and the kernel's clash - badly.
11 > Turn off kernel's readahead for a visible performance boon.
12 >
13 > use noop as io-scheduler.
14
15 Thank you, I'm taking notes. Please feel free to toss out any more tips.
16
17 - Grant