From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} New CPU for my motherboard
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:32:59
1 > > My main concern is the memory. My motherboad supports PC100
2 > > memory as well as a 133fsb although it's not running at that
3 > > speed now. I'll have to crank it up to 133fsb to support the
4 > > Tualatin CPU, and I wonder how that will affect the PC-100
5 > > memory. Would it be better to buy good Kingston PC-100 memory
6 > > and hope it can handle the extra speed,
7 >
8 > That won't work, not reliably.
9 >
10 > > or to buy PC-133 memory
11 > > for the motherboard that officially supports PC-100.
12 >
13 > If your motherboard supports FSB at 133 MHz, then it should support
14 > PC-133 memory.
15
16 Everything I've read says it (i810E motherboard) supports 66/100/133
17 fsb and PC-100 memory. I've read that some BIOSes allow you to adjust
18 the memory clock (fsb, fsb+33, fsb-33) but I don't have that option in
19 my BIOS. Could there be a jumper on the motherboard somewhere?
20
21 If I plug in the new CPU and something goes wrong, is there a way to
22 tell if it's because my PC-100 memory can't handle the 133 fsb or
23 because my motherboard isn't compatible with Tuatalin CPUs?
24
25 - Grant
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list