From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unmerge python?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:41:45
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>> I'm getting the following from portage on a critical remote system:
3 >>>
4 >>> <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.5,
5 >>> app-admin/python-updater-0.2)
6 >>>
7 >>> Am I suppose to un-emerge python?
8 >>>
9 >>> - Grant
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >> Perhaps you should update your python. Version 2.3 will be removed from
13 >> portage and is currently hardmasked. That triggers the depency bump.
16 > 'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
17 > Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
18 > python-updater? Will portage work once python has been unmerged? I'm
19 > being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.
20 >
21 > - Grant
24 If memory serves me correct, update python with the new slot, run
25 python-updater and then you should be able to unmerge the old python. I
26 would double check to make sure nothing depends on the old one before
27 removing it tho. Python is something you do not want to be without. I
28 seem to recall that portage uses python so removing it would be . . .
29 'bad'.
30
31 As was mentioned in another thread, you can set it up so that portage
32 will save a copy of your packages just in case. You can set it to do
33 them all or just the system ones. I think everybody should have it set
34 to at least system.
35
36 Dale
37