From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth is impossible
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 01:01:06
1 >> I have a TRENDnet TBW-105UB USB bluetooth adapter and Motorola H560
2 >> bluetooth headset, and I'm trying to use them with twinkle VOIP
3 >> software.  I've spent at least 8 hours today following up with every
4 >> single lead and I can't figure out how this is supposed to work.  I
5 >> think I don't have the 2 devices "pairing".  The instructions here:
6 >>
7 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/bluetooth-guide.xml
8 >>
9 >> seem to be completely outdated.  I installed blueman in the hopes that
10 >> it would help facilitate pairing, but I only get python errors when I
11 >> try to run the binaries.  Is it gnome-only?  I'm running xfce4.
12 >
13 > Dumb question, Grant, but you are using the right passkey, right?
14 >
15 > These headsets have it built into them, and you usually have to do something
16 > like hold down the headset's power button for 4 or 6 seconds (instead of
17 > just pushing it and letting go, as you would normally do to power on the
18 > device) and the indicator light will flash (or flash more slowly than usual,
19 > or change colour or in some other way indicate it's doing things
20 > differently). This initiates pairing mode on the headset, and you have 10 or
21 > 20 seconds to pair.
22 >
23 > The passkey of the headset is usually fixed at 0000, but check the manual.
24 > You can't change it, and you'll need to match your PC to that.
25 >
26 > It seems like you're a bit frustrated by all this, the way you've posted
27 > without giving us any information. If you're struggling with the concept of
28 > pairing, then I suggest you try pairing the headset with your phone & using
29 > it, just to get the hang of it. If you don't have a bluetooth phone, maybe
30 > you could borrow one? Usually headsets pair with phones pretty easily, first
31 > or second time, just as soon as you've worked out which of the tiny little
32 > buttons to hold in the right way for pairing. Once you've got this sussed
33 > out it'll pair immediately - or even automatically - with your PC.
34 >
35 > The article doesn't look *that* out of date to me, as it mentions "... with
36 >>=bluez-libs-3.x and >=bluez-utils-3.x, pin helpers have been replaced..."
37 > and here on my systems versions 2.25 are still marked as stable. On the
38 > other hand I see that 3.36 is marked as stable, too. :/
39 >
40 > Stroller.
41
42 Thank you for taking the time to write, and I'm sorry my frustration
43 shined through. I got blueman running and everything is working now.
44 To get blueman running I had to use the dbus bluetooth.conf from here:
45
46 http://bugs.gentoo.org/275470
47
48 and run blueman-applet and then blueman-manager.
49
50 That Gentoo Bluetooth page really is way out of date. I reverted back
51 to original everything, and the only info I needed from that page was
52 the kernel config. Absolutely nothing else necessary except for
53 emerging blueman, copying the dbus bluetooth.conf from above, and
54 starting /etc/init.d/bluetooth. That page refers to bluez-utils-3.*
55 and bluez-libs-3.* which are both deprecated and the config is
56 different. bluetooth stuff in portage depends on bluez-4.* which
57 blocks the other two.
58
59 Also, it was necessary to add the following to /etc/asound.conf and
60 specify "bluetooth" for the alsa devices in twinkle:
61
62 pcm.bluetooth {
63 type bluetooth
64 device 00:1F:82:14:7F:11
65 }
66
67 You mentioned that the headset's PIN can't be changed. Couldn't
68 anybody pair with it if they enter 0000?
69
70 - Grant