From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dynamic deps, wtf are they exactly
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:29:26
1 On 27/09/2015 17:12, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> So, my question: wtf are dynamic deps? How do I find the records they
4 >> must leave behind in portage?
5 >
6 > For the latter question, you can rebuild affected packages like so:
7 >
8 > emerge --with-bdeps=y @changed-deps.
9 >
10 > You can also add --changed-deps to your emerge command line for world updates.
14 Thanks. Running that gives surprising and unexpected results. I'm now
15 curious what changed-deps really does, and the man page is terse on this.
16
17 I would have thought portage already does that automatically, but I see
18 a difference. If a package's deps change, but everything is still
19 satisfied, portage will do nothing. Does @changed-deps rebuild
20 everything that changed anyway, regardless is portage thinks it still OK?
21
22 Also, these two similar commands return different results (I have
23 bdeps=y in DEFAULT_OPTS btw):
24
25 emerge -uND --changed-deps=y world (51 packages)
26 emerge @changed-deps (11 packages)
27
28 Do you know why those commands give different results?
29 The smaller list is a strict subset of the longer one.
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com