From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dynamic deps, wtf are they exactly
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 16:13:11
1 On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 27/09/2015 17:12, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> So, my question: wtf are dynamic deps? How do I find the records they
5 >>> must leave behind in portage?
6 >>
7 >> For the latter question, you can rebuild affected packages like so:
8 >>
9 >> emerge --with-bdeps=y @changed-deps.
10 >>
11 >> You can also add --changed-deps to your emerge command line for world updates.
15 > Thanks. Running that gives surprising and unexpected results. I'm now
16 > curious what changed-deps really does, and the man page is terse on this.
17 >
18 > I would have thought portage already does that automatically, but I see
19 > a difference. If a package's deps change, but everything is still
20 > satisfied, portage will do nothing. Does @changed-deps rebuild
21 > everything that changed anyway, regardless is portage thinks it still OK?
22
23 Basically, yes. If [R]DEPEND in /var/db/pkg is different from the
24 values in the ebuilds in the tree, @changed-deps will select it.
25
26 > Also, these two similar commands return different results (I have
27 > bdeps=y in DEFAULT_OPTS btw):
28 >
29 > emerge -uND --changed-deps=y world (51 packages)
30 > emerge @changed-deps (11 packages)
31 >
32 > Do you know why those commands give different results?
33 > The smaller list is a strict subset of the longer one.
34
35 That difference is surprising; you would probably need to ask the
36 portage developers to get a real answer.