From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Straight from the horse's mouth
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:06:15
1 On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:30:51AM +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm confused about the xorg stuff in the WiKi. It mentions the evdev driver as
5 >> critical, but at the Notes at the bottom you say "evdev need udev to be
6 >> built". Can you clarify this?
7 >
8 > For some X11 configs (notably mine) it was necessary explicitly to
9 > configure evdev in xorg.conf. This used to work with, e.g., Gnome2. At
10 > a later stage, evdev suddenly required the udev USE flag to build. :-(
11 > This was taken account of in part of the web page, but not in the xorg
12 > description (which is now wrong).
13
14 I feared so. I read somewhere this is because xorg now asks udev about the
15 availability of evdev (writing from memory, can't find the reference). It
16 seems to me an artifice to force usage of udev. Are these people all in league
17 with each other?
20 > The change to evdev prompted me to stop using an mdev system, since I
21 > anticipated not having enough time to keep it working. (New job, and
22 > such like). The way certain developers are trying to force the world and
23 > his dog to use a rigid Red Hat specified configuration, I might be
24 > changing my time priorities.
25 >
26 Is it possible at all to drop udev and still use xorg? Are the old (i.e.,
27 pre-evdev) drivers still usable? Even if they are, I bet all future
28 developments will go the same way: force uniformity and submission.
29
30 Jorge Almeida