From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Straight from the horse's mouth
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 12:32:46
1 On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:30:51AM +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
5
6 > > (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case you
7 > > haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we can drop
8 > > that support entirely.)
9
10 > > Lennart
13 > I would love to see the day when I could have a udev-free system, and leave
14 > UDEV/Poetterix to the lennartings...
15
16 > > Plan B... toot... (blowing my own horn)
17 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
18
19 > Walter,
20
21 > I'm confused about the xorg stuff in the WiKi. It mentions the evdev driver as
22 > critical, but at the Notes at the bottom you say "evdev need udev to be
23 > built". Can you clarify this?
24
25 For some X11 configs (notably mine) it was necessary explicitly to
26 configure evdev in xorg.conf. This used to work with, e.g., Gnome2. At
27 a later stage, evdev suddenly required the udev USE flag to build. :-(
28 This was taken account of in part of the web page, but not in the xorg
29 description (which is now wrong).
30
31 The change to evdev prompted me to stop using an mdev system, since I
32 anticipated not having enough time to keep it working. (New job, and
33 such like). The way certain developers are trying to force the world and
34 his dog to use a rigid Red Hat specified configuration, I might be
35 changing my time priorities.
36
37 > Thanks
38