From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Did I just get hacked???
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:38:03
1 On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:58:49 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > > A good rootkit will install a "ps" that won't show the 'bot
5 > > > processes. The one time a machine of mine got hacked, netstat
6 > > > still worked, but I don't know why a hacked netstat couldn't be
7 > > > installed as well.
8 > >
9 > > > Looking through /proc/≤pid> is probably still reliable.
12 > > Hello Grant,
13 > >
14 > > I keep an old portable around, running wireshark and a flat hub.
15 > > You can set your ethernet address to 0.0.0.0 and fire up wireshark.
16 > >
17 > > You can then sniff any (ethernet) segment of your network for
18 > > nefarious traffic or male-configured network applictions.
19 > >
20 > > hth,
21 > >
22 > > James
23 >
24 > I can see in an xfce4 panel plugin that there is constantly a small
25 > amount of incoming/outgoing traffic to/from the affected system when
26 > there is no reason I know of for it. netstat doesn't show anything
27 > that jumps out at me although this is the first time I've really used
28 > it. All of the current netstat connections appear to be UNIX as
29 > opposed to Internet. Should I paste them in?
30 >
31 > - Grant
32 > [Error decoding BASE64]
33 nope, they're all local socket connections. What kind of traffic are
34 you seeing, i mean how much? Ever heard of tcpdump?
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list