From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New mobo change
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:20:14
1 Am 20.10.2013 07:39, schrieb Dale:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 18.10.2013 05:54, schrieb Dale:
4 >>> Walter Dnes wrote:
5 >>>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 04:40:52PM -0500, Dale wrote
6 >>>>> Well, this is interesting. I swapped out the mobo. First, it has the
7 >>>>> UEFI BIOS thing. That was interesting for sure. I'm not complaining
8 >>>>> but not used to it and wasn't expecting it either. Second, it works
9 >>>>> except for the third part. Third thing is, no mouse worky. It works in
10 >>>>> the BIOS but not in the OS. I have gpm set to start and it doesn't work
11 >>>>> in a console or a GUI. I tried everything I can think of, no mouse. I
12 >>>>> had to swap again. I'm back to my old mobo. Here is the kicker. I
13 >>>>> plugged the USB mouse into the old mobo, it works just fine. It works
14 >>>>> in KDE, console etc. It just works. The only kernel change I made was
15 >>>>> for the chipset on the mobo. I left the USB stuff alone.
16 >>>> I've run into this in the past. The USB 2.0 drivers are *SUPPOSED* to
17 >>>> provide support for lowspeed USB 1.X devices, like mice and keyboards.
18 >>>> But it doesn't always work that way. There is direct USB 1.X driver
19 >>>> support in the kernel. In "make menuconfig", got to...
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Device Drivers --->
22 >>>> [*] USB support --->
23 >>>> < > OHCI HCD support
24 >>>> < > UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support
25 >>>>
26 >>>> I don't see any mention in your message whether the motherboard cpu is
27 >>>> AMD or Intel. Generally, build UHCI for Intel+VIA, OHCI for AMD. Try
28 >>>> it out and see what happens.
29 >>>>
30 >>> Mine is AMD based. I have this right now but tried every other version
31 >>> I could find too.
32 >>>
33 >>> <*> xHCI HCD (USB 3.0) support
34 >>> <*> EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support
35 >>> <*> OHCI HCD support
36 >>> [*] Generic OHCI driver for a platform device
37 >> there you go. platform driver. Take that one out.
38 >> Make the rest modules.
39 >> Amd board? kill uhci while you are at it.
40 > Change made. I plan to give this a shot again before to long. I got a
41 > few thigns to try out now. I updated sysrecue and Knoppix. I also put
42 > them both on CD/DVD to just in case it is a USB issue. At least I can
43 > test some things and hopefully find one that works.
44 >
45 > Thanks for all the help. I'll post back what happens. If it doesn't
46 > work next time or fails from sysrescue/Knoppix, I plan to RMA the board
47 > for another one. If it doesn't work with either of those, then I
48 > suspect hardware issues again.
49 no, the mouse works in bios - so it is not a hardware issue, but in
50 worst case a bios setting issue.