From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ESD vs ALSA
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 02:01:34
1 On 1/7/07, David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've been using Linux for 6 or 8 years -- without speakers. Today I
3 > decided to take a trip on the wild side and install speakers. It has
4 > been interesting.
5 >
6 > I've been using /usr/bin/gnome-sound-properties (started from Gnome
7 > start button via system//preferences/sound (from nu) to test my
8 > configuration. From the Sounds tab, all the System Sounds work
9 > perfectly. However the Devices tab works fine when ESD (Enlightenment
10 > Sound Daemon) is selected and doesn't work at all when "ALSA" is
11 > selected. In this case, "doesn't work" means the following dialog is
12 > displayed:
13 >
14 > audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512!
15 > audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink:
16 > Could not open resource for writing.
17 >
18 > Any tips on what I should check?
19
20 I've not done exactly what you are doing but make sure that Alsa is
21 selected in the Sound prefernces. Also, if ESD has been running then
22 it will likely block Alsa from getting to the sound cards. Make sure
23 that the ESD daemon has been killed.
27 > Question 2: Is either ESD or ALSA to be preferred? Why?
28
29 I would think Alsa since it's widely supported and they pretty quickly
30 take care of things when you have problems or new hardware comes out.
31 Since ESD is Gnome specific (I think) then if you switched
32 environments - to say fluxbox or something lighter, or KDE on the
33 heavy end) then you'd have more fooling around to do.
34
35 I thought there was a way to tell ESD to use Alsa but I don't really
36 know. I don't use any system sounds in Gnome myself.
37
38 Hope this helps,
39 Mark
43 > Regards,