From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: memtest fails, but is it the RAM?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:34:12
1 On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 00:40 +0000, James wrote:
2
3 > Not sure this is useful, but, if you can get the system to boot, you
4 > and look more closely at the memory specifics with the 'lshw' command.
5
6 hey, neat command. The system boots knoppix and windows fine, but I
7 don't have gentoo on it (yet :) and I don't have lshw on any live cd I
8 have... It can take PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200 though. I currently have
9 2x 512Mb PC3200 in it.
10
11 > Then if you can find the mobo book, look at the published memory
12 > requirements and go into the
13 > bios, and look at the bios settings for something out of the ordinary.
14
15 it is a "jumperfree" board, with overclocking options in the bios, but
16 they're all turned off.
17
18 > If you can, swap the memory with another know good system for a few days....
19 > Something might show up as a problem
20
21 I did that. The new RAM (another PC3200) works ok, but memtest still
22 fails at the same point (test 3). This is confusing me. the same
23 live-cd runs memtest on my other machine (DDR2) without fail...
24
25 The other funny thing about memtest is this: The info it displays about
26 the system is a bit strange. Sometimes it shows a CPU clock of 2999MHz,
27 sometimes 3000MHz; sometimes the RAM shows DDR398, sometimes DDR400.
28 It's always the same for one particular run of memtest, but sometimes
29 changes between boots.
30
31 > > (Ultimately, I'm trying to diagnose a random reboot problem, which makes
32 > > me suspicious of the memory, but I'm not sure)
33 >
34 > I always look at the temperature as the mobo makes it available,
35 > or checking the temperature of the hard drive with 'hddtemp /dev/<drive>'
36
37 I plotted some GPU and CPU temperatures while running some games, and
38 they all go to a reasonable maximum and stop there. I even turned the
39 case fans off, and they don't go higher.
40
41 The "random reboot" problem is now a "won't boot" problem! I put the
42 original RAM back in the same slots, and now the HD's, CD's, and fans
43 spin up, but no display appears. I hear a bios beep, and that's it.
44 Maybe it's a MBoard issue? Maybe a video card issue? Hmmm, I don't
45 want to replace the whole lot!
46
47 > Often power supplies will run ok can then glitch causing a
48 > reboot. It cannot hurt to swap the power supply to see if that
49 > fixes the random reboots....
50
51 not able to try that... I don't have a spare.
52
53 thanks,
57 The Heineken Uncertainty Principle:
58 You can never be sure how many beers you had last night.
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list