From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: memtest fails, but is it the RAM?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:47:45
1 Iain Buchanan <iain <at> pcorp.com.au> writes:
4 > I've swapped the sticks around, used either by themselves, tried
5 > different slots, - everything except completely different RAM.
6
7 hello Iain,
8
9 Not sure this is useful, but, if you can get the system to boot, you
10 and look more closely at the memory specifics with the 'lshw' command.
11 Then if you can find the mobo book, look at the published memory
12 requirements and go into the
13 bios, and look at the bios settings for something out of the ordinary.
14 If you can, swap the memory with another know good system for a few days....
15 Something might show up as a problem
16
17 > (Ultimately, I'm trying to diagnose a random reboot problem, which makes
18 > me suspicious of the memory, but I'm not sure)
19
20 I always look at the temperature as the mobo makes it available,
21 or checking the temperature of the hard drive with 'hddtemp /dev/<drive>'
22 Often power supplies will run ok can then glitch causing a
23 reboot. It cannot hurt to swap the power supply to see if that
24 fixes the random reboots....
27 hth,
28
29 James