From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 22:23:29
1 james wrote:
2 > On 2/18/20 11:00 PM, rudi@×××××.net wrote:
5 >> On Feb 18, 2020 22:33, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>     On 2/18/20 9:29 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
8 >>      >
9 >>      > On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:
10 >>      >> So,
11 >>      >>
12 >>      >> After contacting several US carriers, the cover story is you can
13 >>     get a
14 >>      >> cell phone, root it with linux, and it 'should work'.
15 >>     Supposedly, you
16 >>      >> are encourage, but they
17 >>      >> will not offer any help. So rather than spending months,
18 >>      >> I'd like to 'cheat' and find a gentoo hack(er) that has
19 >>      >> rooted and put some form of gentoo, or embedded_gentoo
20 >>      >> on a cell phone.
21 >>      >>
22 >>      >> Please respond to the list, but, for whatever reason, private
24 >>      >>
25 >>      >>
26 >>      >> I'm just tire of my Android cell phone downloading update *every
27 >>      >> night*. I want/need control of the stacks
28 >>      >> running on the phone. I have heard this is quite popular in
29 >>     Europe and
30 >>      >> the Rf circuits have their own firmware, so it's really next to
31 >>      >> impossible to hack the Rf side
32 >>      >> of communications.....?
33 >>      >>
34 >>      >>
35 >>      >> Any and all responses, public or private, are most welcome.
36 >>     Links only
37 >>      >> are fine too!
38 >>      >>
39 >>      >>
40 >>      >> James
41 >>      >
42 >>      >
43 >>      > For gentoo, I would say "not easy at all" - the problem is custom
44 >>      > hardware, propriety drivers and lack of information, even in well
45 >>      > supported models.
46 >>      >
47 >>      > There was an app where you could install gentoo into something
48 >>     like a
49 >>      > container - worked well but the android kernel I was using at the
50 >>     time
51 >>      > didn't have some functioned enabled that fed into limiting some
52 >>      > operations in the container.
53 >>      >
54 >>      > Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can
55 >>     build ii
56 >>      > yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it
57 >>     many
58 >>      > times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still
59 >>     can).� There
60 >>      > are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and
61 >> even
62 >>      > android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it
63 >> while
64 >>      > doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it
65 >> still
66 >>      > works fine)
67 >>      >
68 >>      > To be honest, if what you mentioned is your main gripe, build
69 >>     android
70 >>      > and use a third party app store like F-Droid to control that side
71 >>     of the
72 >>      > equation.
73 >>      >
74 >>      > Make sure you look into rooting, flashing a new OS and the
75 >>     implications
76 >>      > of doing so - that can be another whole level of pain depending
77 >>     on the
78 >>      > brand of your hardware, and how recent it is (less chance with
79 >>     new stuff
80 >>      > as the really smart people have not had time to trailblaze :)
81 >>      >
82 >>      > BillK
83 >>
84 >>     Good info (thanks!)
85 >>     Here's what I've found so far. The purpose of this posting is to
86 >> share
87 >>     info, so we have a gentoo on a cell phone. I am currently
88 >> researching
89 >>     'unlocked' samsung phones that support 5G and CDMA, so most sim
90 >> cards
91 >>     should work. If others are interested, or know of viable github
92 >> (etc)
93 >>     places to upload codes to, gentoo centric, I'd be all for that. I
94 >> just
95 >>     done with carriers running my cell phones. Sure they can control
96 >> the RF
97 >>     (hardware), but not the software running on the phone. here are a
98 >> few
99 >>     links::
103 >> https://fossbytes.com/how-to-install-a-linux-on-android-phone-without-rooting/
108 >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators
111 >>     Here is an unlocked 5G and CDMA? I'm looking at to root with
112 >> gentoo::
113 >>
114 >>     Galaxy S20 5G 128GB (Unlocked)
115 >>
116 >> https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s20-5g-128gb-unlocked-sm-g981uzaaxaa/
119 >>     Chating with samsung right now. Explaining *why* there needs to be a
120 >>     samsung dev phone, supporting and working with Gentoo....��
121 >> we'll see
122 >>     how this goes...
123 >>
124 >>     More comments? encouragement, folks interested?
125 >>
126 >>     James
127 >>
128 >> I am very interested, although my testing capabilities would be
129 >> restricted to a non-samsung Pixel 3. My�understanding is also that
130 >> the Pixel and Nexus devices publish their "vendor blobs" or hardware
131 >> binaries online which may help?�I've experimented with Ubuntu Touch
132 >> a bit on the Nexus 5, however the device is quite slow at this point.
133 >> My use case wouldn't be so much for control over updates, but more
134 >> for things like Convergence (Ubuntu), Dex (Samsung) or Android
135 >> Desktop. Where you dock your phone and have a linux/Android desktop
136 >> with floating windows etc.
137 >>
138 >>  ï¿½I'd like to be kept in the loop on this, and if possible I would
139 >> also like to help contribute software however I'm not really skilled
140 >> with hardware. I configure my kernel and that's about it.
143 > Sorry, I missed this. Super busy, trying to get Samsung to 'throw this
144 > effort a bone', in the form of deeply one-time discounted Samsung
145 > note:11 phone, that are unlocked and support booting multiple embedded
146 > (phone) OSes. Think about it (3) or more different stacks to test out
147 > one against another, security issues and many other things. Samsung is
148 > very very cool, but this has to be done in a way to avoid issues with
149 > large carriers and governments and their clandestine activities.
150 >
151 > Still Samsung understand the linux-source-centric developer and
152 > appears to negotiating with best intentions. It'd be great to get some
153 > of the gentoo embedded devs in on this, so it can move rapidly to
154 > everyone's advantage.
157 > https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171204006182/en/Samsung-Starts-Producing-512-Gigabyte-Universal-Flash-Storage
160 > I'm pushing Samsung for a dev phone with usb-4, a direct fiber port
161 > (SC) and a multi-boot capability, so we could have (3) or more
162 > different Operating Systems on a dev-phone. Totally open and
163 > supporting 5G development and testing for large, private networks.
164 >
165 > You could have a '%G campus' and then tunnel, via the internet, to
166 > other 5G campuses.
167 >
168 > Last, which is what Samsung really likes, is the myriad of cluster
169 > codes that could allow multiple Gentoo-Samsung-Note:11 phones to
170 > locally collect as a CLUSTER.
171 >
172 > Shoot for the moon and let's get what I get, for the (gentoo)
173 > brotherhood. Samsung seems to be very receptive
174 > to a large collective of gentoo-centric hacks to push the envelop with
175 > their latest hardware. Word I got was Late February.
176 >
177 > We'll see; I have been jilted before by majors. I also have a deal
178 > cooking for one of the largest manufacturers of 5G chipset. The
179 > enormous capabilities of 5G, needs hackers like us to dream, explore,
180 > ask for help and publish in the public domain, what we try, where we
181 > are stuck and when/who is willing to help. US feds actually cannot
182 > find people like us, so that are stuck FOLLOWING what we dream up and
183 > try to build.
184 >
185 > Just think, 3 of us, could rid on the back of one of DALEs tractors,
186 > running a gentoo cell phone cluster, so
187 > DALE, whilst driving, can have several screens and linux gentoo linux
188 > cluster collecting data, providing (AI) advice to DALE in real time
189 > about how to farm and correct drive. All very fuel efficient.
190 > Eventually an Electric tractor make by a modifies TESLA cybertruck hack.
193 > SOON, my brothers, SOON!
194 >
195 > be blessed,
196 > James
201 Reading that Samsung is interested in this makes me glad I bought a
202 Samsung cell phone.  :-D  While nervous about this sort of thing, scared
203 I might brick the thing, it is interesting and something I would
204 consider when the time is right.
205
206 Who is this DALE you mention?  Just curious since that's my name and I'm
207 on a tractor, when arthritis allows it.
208
209 Dale
210