From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: thelma@×××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching adapter - power supply
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:49:15
On 03/20/2017 01:36 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:

> I have a small box "VIA Eden Processor 1200MHz" it runs my asterisk and > hylafax but it is powered by those external 12V adapters (12V 5A). > > They don't usually last long, max 2-years or less. I have a spare unit: > Switching Adapter Power Supply. > The box is in remote location so if it goes down due to PS I have to > there and restart it, it shut down twice on me this morning; I think > this adapter is going slowly. > > If find/connect 12V adapter with higher Amps 10A or 15A will it help > extend the live of the these external power supplies? > > Or take one of the old PS from an old case and solder the tip to 12V > line is better solution? >
I have something like that which I purchased from mini-box, it gets incredibly hot but it still works after a few years - maybe you could get something from them? I would buy another one with higher amps, replace the components inside with better ones and fabricate a metal case for it with a heat-sink so it lasts longer. The lifespan you stated is expected for cheap chinese capacitors, they only last 2000/hrs at 80C which is seriously pathetic. (so 6000 hours at the probable 20C you have) Get yourself some better long life japanese made ones.