From: Alberto Luaces <aluaces@×××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: compressing pdf file
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:45:36
1 "J. Roeleveld" writes:
2
3 > On February 22, 2017 11:12:01 PM GMT+01:00, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
4 >>Thelma:
5 >>> I have scaned pdf file (88-page) 23MB in size (downloaded this way).
6 >>> Trying to reduce the size of the file I [...]
7 >>
8 >>Why don't you extract the images with pdfimages from the pdf and
9 >>compress them with xv or convert (imagemagic) and maybe gimp can
10 >>comress them also. Don't know how to get them back into a pdf though.
11 >>
12 >>Regards,
13 >>/Karl Hammar
14 >
15 > If I remember correctly, you can merge images into a PDF using convert:
16 > # convert image1.jpg image2.jpg .... output.pdf
17 >
18 > I use this technique when I find some images need turning or resorting after scanning bigger documents.
19
20 When going through that route, it is my experience that img2pdf does a
21 much better job than imagemagick because it deals with the .jpg
22 compression losslessly.
25 Alberto