From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rescue cd for zfs 2.1 or thereabouts
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 20:57:29
1 On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:13:30 -0400,
2 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
5 > On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:02:29 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >
7 > > > Aren't new features only applied to newly created pools and datasets?
8 > > > If /boot was compatible with GRUB it should still be. At least that's
9 > > > how I read the einfo messages zfs spits out.
10 > >
11 > > That is correct. I want to know when I can enable the new features.
12 > > Of course, it would also be nice to know which features must be
13 > > disabled when creating a new boot pool.
14 > >
15 > > It is just frustrating that as far as I can tell, there is no
16 > > documentation about what features grub supports. It wouldn't be hard
17 > > for them to just say "here are the zpool features known to work in
18 > > grub version foo." The best I've found is the Arch wiki, which has
19 > > the disclaimer that it is probably out of date and to check the man
20 > > pages, but of course the man pages don't actually say anything.
21 >
22 > All I could find was this:
23 >
24 > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/grub-core/fs/zfs/zfs.c#n276
25 >
26 > For a program with so much documentation, GRUB seems sorely lacking in
27 > this respect. It makes me glad I decided to keep /boot off my zpools.
28
29 I did exactly that -- when you emerge zfs, it gives you the create
30 command, so you can tell by that the features it wants, but there
31 seems to be no good reason to have a boot pool, I can afford the 1 or
32 2 gig space.
33 So back to my original question, I downloaded -- after a lot of
34 trouble finding it -- the Ubuntu 21.04 live server as they call it,
35 but I cannot find any documentation as to how to use it as a rescue
36 disk -- seems to be just an install disk. Am I missing something
37 here?
40 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
41 How do
42 you spend it?
43
44 John Covici wb2una