From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rescue cd for zfs 2.1 or thereabouts
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 18:13:39
1 On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:02:29 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > Aren't new features only applied to newly created pools and datasets?
4 > > If /boot was compatible with GRUB it should still be. At least that's
5 > > how I read the einfo messages zfs spits out.
6 >
7 > That is correct. I want to know when I can enable the new features.
8 > Of course, it would also be nice to know which features must be
9 > disabled when creating a new boot pool.
10 >
11 > It is just frustrating that as far as I can tell, there is no
12 > documentation about what features grub supports. It wouldn't be hard
13 > for them to just say "here are the zpool features known to work in
14 > grub version foo." The best I've found is the Arch wiki, which has
15 > the disclaimer that it is probably out of date and to check the man
16 > pages, but of course the man pages don't actually say anything.
17
18 All I could find was this:
19
20 http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/grub-core/fs/zfs/zfs.c#n276
21
22 For a program with so much documentation, GRUB seems sorely lacking in
23 this respect. It makes me glad I decided to keep /boot off my zpools.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Is that "woof" feed me; "woof" walk me; "woof" there's a burglar? What??