From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: Gentoo-User ML <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't get accelerated opengl renderer ati radeon xpress 200M
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:26:37
1 Am Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:12:39 -0700
2 schrieb Tony Miller <mcfiredrill@×××××.com>:
3
4 > I've been trying for awhile now to get the accelerated opengl renderer
5 > working on my radeon xpress 200M card(which is supposedly an rv370 or
6 > rs4000 according to this wiki page:
7 > http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon). I've been following this
8 > guide alot: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
9 >
10 > I know it is important to change this string from glxinfo:
11 >
12 > OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
13 >
14 > to this:
15 >
16 > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 (RV280 5C61) 20090101
17 > x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE TCL DRI2
18 >
19 > But I'm not sure how.
20 >
21 > This error in my xorg.log seems to be the key:
22
23 [SNIP xorg error]
24 Sorry, I don't know what to make of that.
25
26 > Well the directory /dev/dri/ is empty, so there you go.
27 >
28 > I have these package versions:
29 >
30 > xorg-server 1.7.6
31 > mesa 7.8
32 > libdrm 2.4.19
33 > xf86-video-ati 6.12.192
34 > xorg-drivers 1.7
35
36 I have those, too, except I upgraded to mesa-7.8.1 and xf86-video-ati-6.13.0
37 last night.
38
39 > I have drm set in my kernel too:
40 >
41 > tony@o_0 ~ $ zgrep DRM /proc/config.gz
42 > CONFIG_DRM=m
43 > CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
44 > CONFIG_DRM_TTM=m
45 > # CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
46 > # CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
47 > CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
48 > CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
49 > # CONFIG_DRM_I810 is not set
50 > # CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
51 > # CONFIG_DRM_I915 is not set
52 > # CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
53 > # CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
54 > # CONFIG_DRM_VIA is not set
55 > # CONFIG_DRM_SAVAGE is not set
56 > # CONFIG_DRM_VMWGFX is not set
57 > # CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU is not set
58 > # CONFIG_DRM_I2C_CH7006 is not set
59
60 I have the exact same options set.
61
62 [SNIP glxinfo, xorg.conf]
63
64 I also have an empty xorg.conf, maybe it's worth trying it out. Perhaps you
65 just have a bad combination of options (even if you got them from the "official"
66 documentation)?
67
68 > If anyone has any idea, please let me know. Would posting to the xorg
69 > or radeon mailing lists be good places for help as well?
70
71 I have one idea: which Kernel are you using? I have gentoo-sources-2.6.33
72 installed. I read that the radeon devs recommend to use kernel versions >=2.6.33
73 for KMS instead of 2.6.32.
74
75 Just goes to show how different ones experience with the same software can be.
76 For me and my HD4650 (r6xx) it was smooth sailing: I followed Gentoos 3D
77 acceleration guide and just needed to install the radeon-ucode package and
78 everything "just worked".
79 --
80 Marc Joliet