From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Libreoffice and pasting HTML from web pages.
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 08:17:37
1 madscientistatlarge wrote:
4 > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
5 >
6 > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
7 > On Monday, March 2, 2020 5:35 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 >> Michael wrote:
10 >>
11 >>> On Monday, 2 March 2020 23:07:03 GMT Dale wrote:
12 >>>
13 >>>> Howdy,
14 >>>> I don't use LOo a whole lot but several months ago, I noticed a
15 >>>> problem. Sometimes I go to a electronic type website that has info on
16 >>>> circuits and how something works. Those pages usually contain text,
17 >>>> pics and such. I highlight what contains the info I want, which may
18 >>>> include some things I don't, then copy it to my clipboard. I then go to
19 >>>> LOo and paste it as HTML since that's what it is. Once pasted, I remove
20 >>>> things I don't want, such as social media icons and other unwanted
21 >>>> things. I also make some images larger, make text larger and such as
22 >>>> well. When I get it right, I print it as a pdf file or save it as a LOo
23 >>>> document. That's how I did it in the past. When I would paste the
24 >>>> contents, it would include images and all and would be done in seconds,
25 >>>> well under a minute for sure.
26 >>>> When I paste the content now, it doesn't include pics. The boxes is
27 >>>> there and text for the link to the image but no image. It also locks
28 > ----------------
29 >
30 >>>> Thanks.
31 >>>> Dale
32 >>>> :-) :-)
33 >>>> I haven't looked into how LO works, but it may have something to do with the
34 >>>> tonne of JavaScript HTML pages contain these days and how this is processed/
35 >>>> filtered. When I try it here it works for small amounts of text/pics, but
36 >>>> unlike your LO, I do not have java installed as a dependency.
37 >>> An alternative you could try is to save the page as HTML - File/Save Page As.
38 >>> Then select one of the options to save it as below, which when you open with
39 >>> LO does not take long to process. If you select 'HTML page complete' it will
40 >>> save all JS and images in a separate folder, which you could delete
41 >>> thereafter, or repurpose as you see fit.
42 >> Now that helps a LOT.  It works just like it used to work.  Very fast
43 >> too.  It took maybe one to two seconds and it was done.  Everything is
44 >> there too.
45 >>
46 >> It takes a long while to compile LOo but I'm going to try disabling java
47 >> just to see if that helps.  I'm not sure what all the page contains but
48 >> here's a link to the page I just tested this with.  It's not like it is
49 >> some super secret site or anything.
50 >>
51 >> https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/555-circuits-part-1.html
52 >>
53 >> It looks like plain stuff to me but I have no idea what is going on
54 >> behind the scene.  Maybe some others will enjoy that site.  It has some
55 >> good info and they add stuff pretty regular.
56 >>
57 >> Thanks much.  It's a workaround but at least I can get them copied and
58 >> printed now.  ;-)
59 >>
60 >> Dale
61 >>
62 >> :-)  :-)
63 > One caveat when using print to pdf, you should immediately check the pdf, sometimes it only saves part of the page, not sure why, trying it again seems to usually work.
68 Very true.  I always check when printing to pdf.  I've noticed in the
69 past that it sometimes leaves out things as well.  One thing about copy
70 and pasting it into LOo, if it's there in LOo then it's there when I
71 print.  I have had printing from a web browser leave out things tho.
72
73 It's good info to have tho.
74
75 Thanks.