From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Libreoffice and pasting HTML from web pages.
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 09:36:31
1 On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 08:17:27 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > madscientistatlarge wrote:
3 > > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
4 > >
5 > > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
6 > >
7 > > On Monday, March 2, 2020 5:35 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >> Michael wrote:
9 > >>> On Monday, 2 March 2020 23:07:03 GMT Dale wrote:
10 > >>>> Howdy,
11 > >>>> I don't use LOo a whole lot but several months ago, I noticed a
12 > >>>> problem. Sometimes I go to a electronic type website that has info on
13 > >>>> circuits and how something works. Those pages usually contain text,
14 > >>>> pics and such. I highlight what contains the info I want, which may
15 > >>>> include some things I don't, then copy it to my clipboard. I then go to
16 > >>>> LOo and paste it as HTML since that's what it is. Once pasted, I remove
17 > >>>> things I don't want, such as social media icons and other unwanted
18 > >>>> things. I also make some images larger, make text larger and such as
19 > >>>> well. When I get it right, I print it as a pdf file or save it as a LOo
20 > >>>> document. That's how I did it in the past. When I would paste the
21 > >>>> contents, it would include images and all and would be done in seconds,
22 > >>>> well under a minute for sure.
23 > >>>> When I paste the content now, it doesn't include pics. The boxes is
24 > >>>> there and text for the link to the image but no image. It also locks
25 > >
26 > > ----------------
27 > >
28 > >>>> Thanks.
29 > >>>> Dale
30 > >>>>
31 > >>>> :-) :-)
32 > >>>>
33 > >>>> I haven't looked into how LO works, but it may have something to do
34 > >>>> with the tonne of JavaScript HTML pages contain these days and how
35 > >>>> this is processed/ filtered. When I try it here it works for small
36 > >>>> amounts of text/pics, but unlike your LO, I do not have java installed
37 > >>>> as a dependency.
38 > >>>
39 > >>> An alternative you could try is to save the page as HTML - File/Save
40 > >>> Page As. Then select one of the options to save it as below, which when
41 > >>> you open with LO does not take long to process. If you select 'HTML
42 > >>> page complete' it will save all JS and images in a separate folder,
43 > >>> which you could delete thereafter, or repurpose as you see fit.
44 > >>
45 > >> Now that helps a LOT. It works just like it used to work. Very fast
46 > >> too. It took maybe one to two seconds and it was done. Everything is
47 > >> there too.
48 > >>
49 > >> It takes a long while to compile LOo but I'm going to try disabling java
50 > >> just to see if that helps. I'm not sure what all the page contains but
51 > >> here's a link to the page I just tested this with. It's not like it is
52 > >> some super secret site or anything.
53 > >>
54 > >> https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/555-circuits-part-1.html
55 > >>
56 > >> It looks like plain stuff to me but I have no idea what is going on
57 > >> behind the scene. Maybe some others will enjoy that site. It has some
58 > >> good info and they add stuff pretty regular.
59 > >>
60 > >> Thanks much. It's a workaround but at least I can get them copied and
61 > >> printed now. ;-)
62 > >>
63 > >> Dale
64 > >>
65 > >> :-) :-)
66 > >
67 > > One caveat when using print to pdf, you should immediately check the pdf,
68 > > sometimes it only saves part of the page, not sure why, trying it again
69 > > seems to usually work.
70 > Very true. I always check when printing to pdf. I've noticed in the
71 > past that it sometimes leaves out things as well. One thing about copy
72 > and pasting it into LOo, if it's there in LOo then it's there when I
73 > print. I have had printing from a web browser leave out things tho.
74 >
75 > It's good info to have tho.
76 >
77 > Thanks.
78 >
79 > Dale
80 >
82
83 As a rule I do not have java on my systems. Before you go recompiling LO to
84 take USE=java out, note that LO uses java for a number of plugins and without
85 it they won't work. For example, some of database plugins used in LO Base to
86 open and edit SQL databases rely on java. It's been years since I edited
87 database tables with LO, so I have no use for it at present and this is why
88 I've taken it out. YMMV.