From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: new system hardware
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 05:48:21
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > Oh, we like digressions :-)
5 >
6 > I recall that sometimes last year, Tom's Hardware tested running a
7 > system without heat sink... but completely immersed in... cooking oil!
8 > They made a large acrylic container, poured in gallons of high-quality
9 > cooking oil, then proceeded to overclock the CPU and GPU to unholy
10 > frequencies...
11 >
12 > And, IIRC, Seymour Cray likes to use some inert fluoride-based coolant
13 > to dunk the components of his supercomputer machines. And he would
14 > even go to lengths to design a "coolant fountain" that's not only
15 > functional, but also decorative.
16 >
17 > > The only caveat, is to get a cooling system, that is made of robust,
18 > quality
19 > > components. Also, monitoring the temperature is important, and it'd be
20 > > nice to have a micro pressure transmitter, downstream of the pumping
21 > mechanism
22 > > to ensure no leaks by detecting tiny leaks BEFORE they happen (delta-P).
25 > That's the only qualms I have Re: water-coolant. I always an afraid of
26 > leaks. So, I always wimped out and use the thermal wick kind of
27 > almost, but not quite, somewhat similar to liquid coolant ;-)
28 >
29 > Rgds,
30 > --
33 I seen on a show once that they use mineral oil when they put those
34 robots in deep water. You know, the ones that are remote controlled and
35 go VERY VERY deep. Anyway, they put mineral oil in it because it is not
36 conductive, transmits heat pretty well and it doesn't let the water
37 pressure crush the little robot. It can't crush it since it is full of
38 a liquid already.
39
40 If that is true, why not use mineral oil instead of water? I understand
41 that could mean a change in hoses and such but still, if they can make
42 hoses that can stand up to gas and other really nasty stuff then why not
43 mineral oil too? At least with that, if you get a leak it won't burn
44 out your mobo or whatever else it gets on. It would be messy tho. o_O
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!