From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: new system hardware
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 05:05:12
1 On Nov 11, 2012 12:13 AM, "James" <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > > I guess it is good for the folks that use water cooling tho. I run
7 > > plenty cool and quiet with air so I'm not planning to switch. I still
8 > > like my CPUs to be bare when possible then purchase my cooler
9 separately.
10 >
11 > For me, it's basic thermodynamics. Water as a (liquid at working
12 temperatures)
13 > fluid, moves orders of magnitude more heat than air (as working fluid)
14 does,
15 > Sure Glycol or TEG (Tetraethylene Glycol) is best, but I do not have time
16 > to find a non corrosive, non conducting fluid in lieu of water (although
17 Silicone
18 > brake fluid or DOT-5 might just do the trick). Sorry for the
19 digression.....
22 Oh, we like digressions :-)
23
24 I recall that sometimes last year, Tom's Hardware tested running a system
25 without heat sink... but completely immersed in... cooking oil! They made a
26 large acrylic container, poured in gallons of high-quality cooking oil,
27 then proceeded to overclock the CPU and GPU to unholy frequencies...
28
29 And, IIRC, Seymour Cray likes to use some inert fluoride-based coolant to
30 dunk the components of his supercomputer machines. And he would even go to
31 lengths to design a "coolant fountain" that's not only functional, but also
32 decorative.
33
34 > The only caveat, is to get a cooling system, that is made of robust,
35 quality
36 > components. Also, monitoring the temperature is important, and it'd be
37 > nice to have a micro pressure transmitter, downstream of the pumping
38 mechanism
39 > to ensure no leaks by detecting tiny leaks BEFORE they happen (delta-P).
42 That's the only qualms I have Re: water-coolant. I always an afraid of
43 leaks. So, I always wimped out and use the thermal wick kind of almost, but
44 not quite, somewhat similar to liquid coolant ;-)
45
46 Rgds,