From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing Gentoo via Gentoo ?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 12:59:29
1 On 04/18/10 22:21, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > currently I am reading the Gentoo-Handbokk about installing a
6 > new Gentoo-System via boot-CD.
7 >
8 > If I have a running Gentoo-Sytem on my PC...would it be
9 > possible to install a new Gentoo-System on a fresh harddisk,
10 > which is currently unpartitioned and unformatted electrically
11 > wired with my PC (SATAII) ?
12
13 Yes, you should be able to, installing Gentoo is basically just copying
14 a bunch of files to a partition in a harddisk, nothing magical.
15
16 However, you will have to be able to compile a compatible kernel from
17 your PC. Compatible usually means either your PC have the same
18 architecture as your laptop (which means everything should be already
19 setup) or you have to cross-compile the kernel.
20
21 I've never done kernel cross-compiling, but it's definitely possible,
22 you just need to modify modify some of the Makefile manually (search on
23 google for a howto).
24
25 Also, I'm not sure whether a bootloader installation needs to mess with
26 the BIOS. I *think* it shouldn't, as the low-level booting process
27 between the box and the harddisk is controlled by BIOS from MBR and
28 grub/lilo is just installing onto the MBR.