From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing Gentoo via Gentoo ?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:25:22
1 On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:57:05PM +1000, Lie Ryan wrote:
2 > On 04/18/10 22:21, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > currently I am reading the Gentoo-Handbokk about installing a
7 > > new Gentoo-System via boot-CD.
8 > >
9 > > If I have a running Gentoo-Sytem on my PC...would it be
10 > > possible to install a new Gentoo-System on a fresh harddisk,
11 > > which is currently unpartitioned and unformatted electrically
12 > > wired with my PC (SATAII) ?
13 >
14 > Yes, you should be able to, installing Gentoo is basically just copying
15 > a bunch of files to a partition in a harddisk, nothing magical.
16 >
17 > However, you will have to be able to compile a compatible kernel from
18 > your PC. Compatible usually means either your PC have the same
19 > architecture as your laptop (which means everything should be already
20 > setup) or you have to cross-compile the kernel.
21 >
22 > I've never done kernel cross-compiling, but it's definitely possible,
23 > you just need to modify modify some of the Makefile manually (search on
24 > google for a howto).
25 >
26 > Also, I'm not sure whether a bootloader installation needs to mess with
27 > the BIOS. I *think* it shouldn't, as the low-level booting process
28 > between the box and the harddisk is controlled by BIOS from MBR and
29 > grub/lilo is just installing onto the MBR.
33 About the bootloader shouldn't one set that up on the individual machine? I'm sure everything but the bootloader could be done from another machine, but my guess is a bootcd would be necessary for the actual bootloader.
36 Zeerak Waseem