From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing Gentoo via Gentoo ?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:40:11
1 Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com> [10-04-18 15:28]:
2 > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:57:05PM +1000, Lie Ryan wrote:
3 > > On 04/18/10 22:21, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > Hi,
6 > > >
7 > > > currently I am reading the Gentoo-Handbokk about installing a
8 > > > new Gentoo-System via boot-CD.
9 > > >
10 > > > If I have a running Gentoo-Sytem on my PC...would it be
11 > > > possible to install a new Gentoo-System on a fresh harddisk,
12 > > > which is currently unpartitioned and unformatted electrically
13 > > > wired with my PC (SATAII) ?
14 > >
15 > > Yes, you should be able to, installing Gentoo is basically just copying
16 > > a bunch of files to a partition in a harddisk, nothing magical.
17 > >
18 > > However, you will have to be able to compile a compatible kernel from
19 > > your PC. Compatible usually means either your PC have the same
20 > > architecture as your laptop (which means everything should be already
21 > > setup) or you have to cross-compile the kernel.
22 > >
23 > > I've never done kernel cross-compiling, but it's definitely possible,
24 > > you just need to modify modify some of the Makefile manually (search on
25 > > google for a howto).
26 > >
27 > > Also, I'm not sure whether a bootloader installation needs to mess with
28 > > the BIOS. I *think* it shouldn't, as the low-level booting process
29 > > between the box and the harddisk is controlled by BIOS from MBR and
30 > > grub/lilo is just installing onto the MBR.
34 > About the bootloader shouldn't one set that up on the individual machine? I'm sure everything but the bootloader could be done from another machine, but my guess is a bootcd would be necessary for the actual bootloader.
35 >
36 > --
37 > Zeerak Waseem
38
39 ...to clearify things a little:
40 I want to setup a new system on a harddisk, which is currently
41 connected to the second SATA-connector. The old system, which should
42 be replaced by the new system as soon as this one is setup, is on
43 a harddisk currently connected with the first SATA connector.
44
45 Beside the harddisks, which later will be swapped, everything remains
46 the same.
47
48 Later the new system will run the same hardware as currently the old
49 system does.
50
51 Best regards
52 mcc
58 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
59 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
60 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
61 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.