From: "Florian v. Savigny" <lorian@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel update messed up console encoding
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 01:01:16
1 Hi Nikos,
2
3 > Maybe the commands "unicode_start" and "unicode_stop" might help.
4
5 Bull's eye! "unicode_stop" reverses the behavior completely to what
6 the old kernel did.
7
8 I looked inside; both are actually shell scripts; unicode_stop is very
9 simple:
10
11 kbd_mode -a
12 if test -t ; then
13 echo -n -e '\033%@'
14 fi
15
16 unicode_start does a little more (also change the keyboard mapping and
17 choose a unicode font), but it also contains
18
19 kbd_mode -u
20
21 and
22
23 if test -t 1 -a -t 2 ; then
24 echo -n -e '\033%G'
25 fi
26
27 So the escape sequences are 'ESC % @' and 'ESC % G'. Thanks very much
28 for this collaborate effort!
29
30 Simultaneously, the unnamed user (sorry, I just forgot to ask whether
31 he minds being named or not) told me to try the kernel parameter
32 "vt.default_utf8=0", and that does the trick as well. So the smoothest
33 workaround will now be putting that into lilo.conf (yes, I know, I'm
34 hopelessly old-fashioned - old encodings, old bootloaders ... ;-)).
35
36 I think I'll continue on a kernel list to figure out what kernel
37 2.6.27 does differently from 2.6.17, and why (and whether that
38 behaviour cannot be changed with a compile-time option). I think that
39 part is really not a gentoo-specific question. But I'll report here
40 when I get the result!
41
42 Best regards!
43 Florian