From: Felix Kuperjans <felix@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I prevent gentoo-sources being installed?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 18:41:35
1 On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 18:39, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Thanks, this works (never heard of this file before). But there is
4 >> one small problem: no wildcards are allowed, so whenever new sorces
5 >> come I'll have to edit package.provided again, and again... BTW why
6 >> should kmod depend on kernel-sources? Or even better, why should be
7 >> kmod installed, if I have static (non-modular) kernel?
8 > Because your use case is not standard. The normal situation for users
9 > with kmod installed (and you have already kmod installed, since in
10 > your --pretend run appears as to be reinstalled) is for them to use
11 > kernel modules. The developers cannot handle every possible
12 > combination of configurations, so defaults are set for the least weird
13 > cases, or the common case even.
14 >
15 > Your setup is not the norm; therefore, it depends on you to keep it as
16 > you like it.
17 >
18 > Regards.
19 The case is actually quite common; Linux *sources* are only needed for
20 building kernels on the local machine (and - if used - additional
21 modules like nvidia-drivers).
22 Anyone who does not build the kernel on the local machine, e.g. taking
23 stock kernels from Debian/Fedora/..., kernel provided by
24 netboot/openvz/Xen domUs or build them remotely will almost never need
25 linux-sources installed.
26
27 BTW this will also add full kernel sources to all stage3 archives,
28 increasing their size quite significantly.
29
30 Regards,
31 Felix