From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I prevent gentoo-sources being installed?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 18:59:07
1 On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Felix Kuperjans
2 <felix@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 18:39, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Thanks, this works (never heard of this file before). But there is
6 >>> one small problem: no wildcards are allowed, so whenever new sorces
7 >>> come I'll have to edit package.provided again, and again... BTW why
8 >>> should kmod depend on kernel-sources? Or even better, why should be
9 >>> kmod installed, if I have static (non-modular) kernel?
10 >> Because your use case is not standard. The normal situation for users
11 >> with kmod installed (and you have already kmod installed, since in
12 >> your --pretend run appears as to be reinstalled) is for them to use
13 >> kernel modules. The developers cannot handle every possible
14 >> combination of configurations, so defaults are set for the least weird
15 >> cases, or the common case even.
16 >>
17 >> Your setup is not the norm; therefore, it depends on you to keep it as
18 >> you like it.
19 >>
20 >> Regards.
21 > The case is actually quite common; Linux *sources* are only needed for
22
23 Even if it is "quite common" (which I doubt) is not the norm. The
24 Gentoo Handbook[1] and Gentoo Linux Kernel Guide[2] only discusses one
25 method to get kernel which you can boot: installing one of the
26 several sources packages available under sys-kernel/*-sources, and
27 configuring it manually or via genkernel.
28
29 > building kernels on the local machine (and - if used - additional
30 > modules like nvidia-drivers).
31 > Anyone who does not build the kernel on the local machine, e.g. taking
32 > stock kernels from Debian/Fedora/..., kernel provided by
33 > netboot/openvz/Xen domUs or build them remotely will almost never need
34 > linux-sources installed.
35
36 Yeah, and you can install the kernel that your cousin Billy compiled
37 for you. Neither of those methods are the norm, as covered by the
38 Gentoo documentation, and therefore if you use those methods, you are
39 on your own.
40
41 > BTW this will also add full kernel sources to all stage3 archives,
42 > increasing their size quite significantly.
43
44 Which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
45
46 Regards.
47
48 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap7