From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge R
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:39:40
1 Hi Ian, Iain here!
2
3 On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 08:03 +0000, Ian Porter wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I am just wondering if there is an option within emerge that will tell
6 > > me which packages need to be re-compiled
7 > > [ R ]
8
9 recompiled? generally you don't need to "recompile" packages.
10
11 > Soz, forgot to say that the wpa_supplicant is now 0.3.9 and I have tried
12 > going back to 0.3.8, but both do not work. I am running ndiswrapper (forgot
13 > the version because I am at work at present), but using rt2500.inf for the
14 > windows drivers. I am thinking about trying out the rtx00 drivers, has
15 > anyone had these drivers working ok ?
16
17 yup, I'm using the rt2500-1.1.0_beta3. Funnily, I couldn't get the
18 download from the web to work but the gentoo emerge worked, thanks
19 gentoo!! lspci for me shows:
20
21 $ lspci
22 0000:00:08.0 Network controller: RaLink Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus
23 Reference Card (rev 01)
24
25 $ lspci -n
26 0000:00:08.0 Class 0280: 1814:0201 (rev 01)
27
28 > > Because I have just updated the wpa_supplicant and now my wireless card
29 > > is not working but found out that baselayout, ndiswrapper and
30 > > wpa_supplicant are all saying that they need to be re-compiled, but
31 > > everytime that I re-emerge them
32 > > emerge wpa_supplicant, it still says that it is needs to be
33 > > re-compiled.
34
35 It might be helpful if you supply the exact command you're trying to
36 use, and a sample of the output. It may be that you should be doing
37 something slightly different.
38
39 Everything will say it needs to be recompiled if you say
40 `emerge -p <package>`
41 however, what you probably want to do is
42 `emerge -up <package>`
43
44 This tells you there is a new version available. Provided you've done
45 `emerge --sync`
46
47 even better would be
48 `emerge -upD world`
49 followed by a
50 `revdep-rebuild`
51 if kernel / gcc / major things like that have changed.
52
53 > > I am not able to sort out the problem until next week, but thought that
54 > > I would ask so that I have a few things to check out once I am back
55 > > online.
56
57 Sorry if you know all this already, I'm kinda guessing as to what you're
58 trying to do.
59
60 HTH,
61 --