From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updating ALL packages
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:43:57
1 On Fri, Jul 25 2014, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 23/07/2014 15:24, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> My normal updating procedure is
5 >>
6 >> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs --load-average=5"
7 >> emerge --update --changed-use --keep-going @world
8 >>
9 >> I had mistakenly thought this would update all packages not at the
10 >> latest version (subject to package.accept_keywords, package.mask, ...).
11 >>
12 >> I now realize that it only does this for the packages in world and then
13 >> follows the dependency tree. So if package A in world is up to date, A
14 >> depends of B, and a new version of B appears, B will not be updated.
15 >>
16 >> As a result eix-test-obsolete finds that I have packages installed that
17 >> are no longer in the database.
18 >>
19 >> I could do
20 >>
21 >> emerge --update the-2-dozen-such-packages
22 >
23 > emerge --depclean
24
25 I had done that and nothing turned up.
26 allan