From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:03:04
1 On Sunday 28 February 2010 23:27:57 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > > 7 years ago a veteran Linux user taught me to always use su - for the
3 > > very reason you stated.
6 > Actually, you are safe with either "su -" (without sudo) or "sudo -i".
7 > "sudo su -" is chaining "su -" on top of sudo, and is redundant because
8 > "sudo -i" and "su -" do the same thing afaik.
9
10 "sudo su" and "su" have a fundamental difference, vital in corporate networks:
11
12 The former uses the user's password for authentication and sudoers for
13 authorization. The latter uses knowledge of the root password for
14 authorization and authentication. See my other post in this thread.
15
16 On the work servers I enforce "sudo su"
17
18 OTOH, "sudo su" is indeed pretty pointless on a single-user machine. I never
19 bother with sudo on this gentoo notebook for instance.
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com