From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:58:05
1 On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:16:14AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > "sudo su" and "su" have a fundamental difference, vital in corporate networks:
3 >
4 > The former uses the user's password for authentication and sudoers for
5 > authorization. The latter uses knowledge of the root password for
6 > authorization and authentication. See my other post in this thread.
7
8 Actually, what you just said about "sudo su" applies only to "sudo".
9 When you run "sudo su", what you are doing is running sudo then
10 authenticating to it, and running su, as root, after you authenticate
11 to sudo.
12
13 > On the work servers I enforce "sudo su"
14
15 Actually, you could just have people use "sudo -i" or "sudo -s" if they
16 want a shell with root access. If they want to run a program with root
17 privileges and the root environment, they can use "sudo -i command".
18
19 William