From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 00:03:16
1 On Monday 01 March 2010 00:57:17 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:16:14AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > "sudo su" and "su" have a fundamental difference, vital in corporate
4 > > networks:
5 > >
6 > > The former uses the user's password for authentication and sudoers for
7 > > authorization. The latter uses knowledge of the root password for
8 > > authorization and authentication. See my other post in this thread.
9 >
10 > Actually, what you just said about "sudo su" applies only to "sudo".
11 > When you run "sudo su", what you are doing is running sudo then
12 > authenticating to it, and running su, as root, after you authenticate
13 > to sudo.
14
15 You misunderstand my intent. To get root via sudo, you authenticate using the
16 user's Unix account. The emphasis here is on what sudo does, not the intricate
17 subtleties of what it does with the subsequent su, or any other variation of
18 the same.
19
20 I don't want to start a pointless semantic argument on this, just realize it's
21 all about sudo and the following "su" is a mere example (other things could
22 have sufficed, I used that one)
26 > > On the work servers I enforce "sudo su"
27 >
28 > Actually, you could just have people use "sudo -i" or "sudo -s" if they
29 > want a shell with root access. If they want to run a program with root
30 > privileges and the root environment, they can use "sudo -i command".
31 >
32 > William
35 Don't read my post as literally meaning they must type the 7 characters "sudo
36 su". Read it more as "use any feature of sudo you feel like to get a root
37 shell, but you must use sudo. As opposed to using su alone".
38 --
39 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com