From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: VLC could not decode the opus audio
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:46:06
1 2016-04-17 19:12 GMT+03:00 »Q« <boxcars@×××.net>:
2 > On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:47:19 +0300
3 > gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> "VLC could not decode the format "Opus" (Opus Audio)"
6 >>
7 >> I have tried to add the opus use flag to media-video/ffmpeg
8 >> and to add the matroska use flag to media-video/vlc
9 >>
10 >> No results.
11 >>
12 >> Any suggestions?
13 >>
14 >> I just have read that opus is an open sourse audio format
15 >> that is much better that mp3.
16 >>
17 >> Why it is not supported by default then?
18 >
19 > Adding 'media-video/vlc -opus'
20 > to /etc/portage/profile/package.use.stable.mask will override, to let
21 > you use the flag with VLC. (The '-' is not a typo. It's there
22 > because '-opus' removes opus from the masked flags.)
23 >
24 > I tried to figure out the other day why opus is stable-masked for VLC
25 > and wound up in a maze of bugs. I'm sorry I don't have the bug numbers
26 > for them. If you want to dive into the maze, grep around
27 > in /usr/portage/profiles for vlc and opus.
28 >
29 > I'm pretty sure what happened was that vlc had a security issue, and a
30 > new version had to be stabilized, some time in 2014 or early 2015. At
31 > that point, for opus support the new stable VLC required an unstable
32 > opus, so they stable-masked the flag for VLC. Later, a new-enough opus
33 > was stabilized; at that point, the flag for VLC should have been
34 > unmasked, but it fell through the cracks. There was already whining in
35 > bug comments about it not getting done, so I didn't add my voice.
36
37 Thank you both for the help.
38
39 After creating /etc/portage/profile/package.use.stable.mask
40 with the line
41 media-video/vlc -opus
42 I finally could see the opus use flag via
43 equery uses vlc
44
45 Setting this flag and recompiling vlc solved the problem.