From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: VLC could not decode the opus audio
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:49:14
1 2016-04-17 20:45 GMT+03:00 gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
2 > 2016-04-17 19:12 GMT+03:00 »Q« <boxcars@×××.net>:
3 >> On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:47:19 +0300
4 >> gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> "VLC could not decode the format "Opus" (Opus Audio)"
7 >>>
8 >>> I have tried to add the opus use flag to media-video/ffmpeg
9 >>> and to add the matroska use flag to media-video/vlc
10 >>>
11 >>> No results.
12 >>>
13 >>> Any suggestions?
14 >>>
15 >>> I just have read that opus is an open sourse audio format
16 >>> that is much better that mp3.
17 >>>
18 >>> Why it is not supported by default then?
19 >>
20 >> Adding 'media-video/vlc -opus'
21 >> to /etc/portage/profile/package.use.stable.mask will override, to let
22 >> you use the flag with VLC. (The '-' is not a typo. It's there
23 >> because '-opus' removes opus from the masked flags.)
24 >>
25 >> I tried to figure out the other day why opus is stable-masked for VLC
26 >> and wound up in a maze of bugs. I'm sorry I don't have the bug numbers
27 >> for them. If you want to dive into the maze, grep around
28 >> in /usr/portage/profiles for vlc and opus.
29 >>
30 >> I'm pretty sure what happened was that vlc had a security issue, and a
31 >> new version had to be stabilized, some time in 2014 or early 2015. At
32 >> that point, for opus support the new stable VLC required an unstable
33 >> opus, so they stable-masked the flag for VLC. Later, a new-enough opus
34 >> was stabilized; at that point, the flag for VLC should have been
35 >> unmasked, but it fell through the cracks. There was already whining in
36 >> bug comments about it not getting done, so I didn't add my voice.
37 >
38 > Thank you both for the help.
39 >
40 > After creating /etc/portage/profile/package.use.stable.mask
41 > with the line
42 > media-video/vlc -opus
43 > I finally could see the opus use flag via
44 > equery uses vlc
45 >
46 > Setting this flag and recompiling vlc solved the problem.
47
48 But I still have a feeling that it should have been done in a better way. ;)