From: Stefan Schmiedl <s@×××.de>
To: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --sync
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 20:54:06
1 Sonntag, 31. Juli 2022 21:51:
2
3 > I've been running gentoo for years now, and every time I go to --sync,
4 > it's really a painful process.
5
6 > The process can take *very* [long] before you find out if it succeeded or not.
7 ...
8
9 > It can take several hours before it finally works
10
11 Use a tool like atop to get some info about the throughput
12 of your network connection. Something like "ss -ntp" might
13 show interesting info about the state of the connection
14 between your machine and the server, too.
15
16 You might have problems with DNS name resolution or your
17 box patiently trying to establish an IPv6 connection when
18 your internet connection is IPv4 only.
19
20 But switching to git, like Neil said, does make things faster.
21
22 FWIW, my config file reads like this:
23
24 # cat /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf
25 [DEFAULT]
26 main-repo = gentoo
27
28 [gentoo]
29 location = /var/db/repos/gentoo
30 sync-type = git
31 sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
32 auto-sync = yes
33 sync-git-verify-commit-signature = yes
34 sync-openpgp-key-path = /usr/share/openpgp-keys/gentoo-release.asc
35
36 good luck,
37 s.
38
39 > It seems like a time-out problem.  Or maybe a memory problem ... In any
40 > case, it doesn't seem like it ought to be difficult to at least know
41 > what the problem is.
42
43 > Or?