From: Scott Tiret <stiret@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stealth ethernet
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:45:03
1 On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 23:19 +0000, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > For a variety of reasons, I need to be able to make an ethernet
5 > interface on a gentoo system, change into listen only (stealth mode).
6 > Kind of like half duplex, so to speak. Any simple tricks?
7 > Just disabling all responses from the ethernet interface would do.
8 > I know I can just use 'ifconfig eth0 down' but anything more
9 > elegant or that would allow the interface to keep receiving
10 > packets for analysis and logging would be better.
13 I've never used this one, but the idea of a Honeypot is simple and
14 sounds like what you are looking for.
15
16 emerge -s honey
17 Searching...
18 [ Results for search key : honey ]
19 [ Applications found : 1 ]
20
21 * net-analyzer/honeyd [ Masked ]
22 Latest version available: 1.0-r1
23 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
24 Size of downloaded files: 2,566 kB
25 Homepage: http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/
27 on a network
28 License: GPL-2