From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] stealth ethernet
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:26:35
1 Hello,
2
3 For a variety of reasons, I need to be able to make an ethernet
4 interface on a gentoo system, change into listen only (stealth mode).
5 Kind of like half duplex, so to speak. Any simple tricks?
6 Just disabling all responses from the ethernet interface would do.
7 I know I can just use 'ifconfig eth0 down' but anything more
8 elegant or that would allow the interface to keep receiving
9 packets for analysis and logging would be better.
10
11 At other times I need to run a full blown IDS, like snort,
12 on an ethernet port, but without being externally detected.
13 What would be best method (tools) to ensure the interface is actually
14 not detectable on a given lan segment?
15 Here is a good (Redhat) but old link that kind of outlines the idea:
16
17 http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6222
18
19 Any web pages, documents or information that is more current and
20 gentoo specific would be of greatly appreciated.
21
22 TIA,
23
24 James