From: Justin Patrin <papercrane@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stealth ethernet
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:46:21
1 On 10/18/05, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > For a variety of reasons, I need to be able to make an ethernet
5 > interface on a gentoo system, change into listen only (stealth mode).
6 > Kind of like half duplex, so to speak. Any simple tricks?
7 > Just disabling all responses from the ethernet interface would do.
8 > I know I can just use 'ifconfig eth0 down' but anything more
9 > elegant or that would allow the interface to keep receiving
10 > packets for analysis and logging would be better.
11 >
12 > At other times I need to run a full blown IDS, like snort,
13 > on an ethernet port, but without being externally detected.
14 > What would be best method (tools) to ensure the interface is actually
15 > not detectable on a given lan segment?
16 > Here is a good (Redhat) but old link that kind of outlines the idea:
17 >
18 > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6222
19 >
20 > Any web pages, documents or information that is more current and
21 > gentoo specific would be of greatly appreciated.
24 I would suggest using iptables to simply DROP all outgoing packets.
27 Justin Patrin
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list