From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 06:20:09
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > Sorry to be a bit elementary, but if you're not colocating your box,
3 > and you don't often use SSH, you might want to consider disabling
4 > remote administrative things.
5
6 Of course - disable everything, that you don't need. ESPECIALLY, if it
7 is reachable over the network.
8
9 > All your Windoze "friend" will try to do is exploit MySQL to pop a DOS
10 > shell into your system.
11
12 How do you know?
13
14 > If you can't disable SSH for some reason, then limit MySQL access to
15 > localhost only.
16
17 I'd even suggest to make MySQL "skip-networking". If that's set
18 in my.cnf, MySQL won't be available via TCP over a network and
19 can only be reached over a Unix socket. Maybe that's what you
20 meant, but I just fealt like adding that :)
21
22 > If you can, what I'd do is try and get the guy's MAC Address or
23 > something and then totally block that off.
24
25 How should *THAT* help? In 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of
26 the times, the attacker won't be on the same subnet, and thus the
27 MAC isn't available.
28
29 You can try to block me, my MAC will be either 00:12:17:D4:21:D4
30 or 00:12:17:D4:21:D2. Just tell me, where you blocked me using
31 my MAC and I'll see if I can still access.
32
33 Alexander Skwar
34 --
35 "But this one goes to eleven."