From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 07:21:56
1 On 7/5/06, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
2 > Lord Sauron wrote:
3 > > Sorry to be a bit elementary, but if you're not colocating your box,
4 > > and you don't often use SSH, you might want to consider disabling
5 > > remote administrative things.
6 >
7 > Of course - disable everything, that you don't need. ESPECIALLY, if it
8 > is reachable over the network.
9 >
10 > > All your Windoze "friend" will try to do is exploit MySQL to pop a DOS
11 > > shell into your system.
12 >
13 > How do you know?
14
15 I read a hacker article. It was terribly interesting, but nothing I'd
16 actually want to do. I don't think hacking is a worthwhile use of my
17 time, however, since I do aspire to host my own server and website, I
18 decided it would be good to bone up on attack methods a little bit.
19
20 > > If you can't disable SSH for some reason, then limit MySQL access to
21 > > localhost only.
22 >
23 > I'd even suggest to make MySQL "skip-networking". If that's set
24 > in my.cnf, MySQL won't be available via TCP over a network and
25 > can only be reached over a Unix socket. Maybe that's what you
26 > meant, but I just fealt like adding that :)
27
28 I'm no pro, but that works. I don't have a lot of experience, so I
29 oftentimes just end up speculating on a bunch of educated guesses.
30
31 > > If you can, what I'd do is try and get the guy's MAC Address or
32 > > something and then totally block that off.
33 >
34 > How should *THAT* help? In 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of
35 > the times, the attacker won't be on the same subnet, and thus the
36 > MAC isn't available.
37
38 Couldn't hurt. You never know what you'll find when you tear apart
39 some networking packets. I was so alarmed at what I found that I quit
40 doing it altogether. Ignorance is bliss, I decided. No, I won't say
41 what I found for reasons of protecting the egos of innocent people.
42
43 > You can try to block me, my MAC will be either 00:12:17:D4:21:D4
44 > or 00:12:17:D4:21:D2. Just tell me, where you blocked me using
45 > my MAC and I'll see if I can still access.
46
47 I'll try it someday when I can figure out enough about linux
48 networking to do something like that.
52 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
53 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
54 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
55 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
56 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
57 --
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list