From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo system initialization scripts UDEV message
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:28:30
1 Howdy,
2
3 You might want to try module-rebuild (see this week's
4 Gentoo Linux Newsletter - http://www.gentoo.org).
5
6 Basically:
7
8 emerge module-rebuild
9 module-rebuild list
10 module-rebuild rebuild
11
12 That should make sure all kernel modules are built.
13
14 I did not hit this problem when I switched to udev.
15 I am using nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676.
16
17 Here's some other suggests I found via google:
18
19 verify xorg.conf:
20 Section "Device"
21 Driver "nvidia"
22
23 modprobe nvidia
24 modprobe vgahw
25 X --probeonly
28 HTH,
29 Roy
30
31 Budd, Tracy wrote:
32
33 >Roy,
34 >I changed /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice as you suggested. No luck.
35 >I checked the Xorg.0.log. The only error message there was
36 >"Failed to initialize NVIDIA kernel module."
37 >I forgot to check dmesg.
38 >I am wondering if I need to use mknod. Eventhough the nvidia module
39 >seems to
40 >load (lsmod confirms this), I cannot find any entries in /dev for
41 >nvidia.
42 >Any help is appreciated.
43 >TIA
44 >-tracy
45 >
46 >-----Original Message-----
47 >From: Roy Wright
48 >Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 3:07 PM
49 >To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
50 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo system initialization scripts UDEV
51 >message
52 >
53 >One word. mouse
54 >
55 >You probably need to change /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice in xorg.conf.
56 >
57 >HTH,
58 >Roy
59 >
60 >Richard Fish wrote:
64 >>Budd, Tracy wrote:
68 >>>Ok. I removed the /dev/.devfsd and now UDEV works, but now I am
69 >>>getting an X windows error. "... Screens found but none have a usable
70 >>>
71 >>>
75 >>>configuration."
76 >>>I tried re-emerging nvidia-kernel, and loading nvidia with modprobe
77 >>>prior to startx, but that didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?
78 >>>TIA
79 >>>-Tracy
80 >>>
81 >>>
82 >>>
83 >>>
84 >>Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If you need more help, post it
87 >here.
90 >>-Richard
95 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list