From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless help?
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:27:25
1 On Saturday 01 December 2007, Grant wrote:
2 > I'm trying to set up a new laptop's wireless interface. lspci says it
3 > has an Atheros AR5006EG which should mean the madwifi drivers. I
4 > emerged madwifi-ng and madwifi-ng-tools, created net.ath0 as a link to
5 > net.lo, and set the ath_pci module to autoload (which it does without
6 > errors) but I get:
7 >
8 > network interface ath0 does not exist
9 > Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)
10 >
11 > when trying to start net.ath0. Does this sound like a driver support
12 > problem or did I miss something? ifconfig only shows eth0 and lo.
13 > iwconfig shows, eth0, lo, and sit0. I don't know what sit0 is.
14
15 You probably have enabled IPv6 in your kernel? sit0 is the interface for an
16 ipv4/ipv6 tunnel. I don't think that it is related to your WiFi chip.
17
18 The fact that you do not see the WiFi interface when your run ifconfig or
19 iwconfig(?) means that the driver in question is not picking it up. The
20 solution can be quite elusive, but short of hacking the driver itself you may
21 want to:
22
23 1. emerge previous versions or later versions of the driver and try again.
24 2. Try ndiswrapper with the MS Windows driver at least until the Linux driver
25 comes to a version that works with the AR5006EG chip.
26
27 Good luck. :)
28 --
29 Regards,