From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Check CPU for throttling
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 11:01:43
1 On 05/08/2011 11:21:06 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 sys-process/atop shows current CPU freqency
4 I use it to check the effect of sys-power/powernowd
5
6 Helmut.
7
8 > Hi list!
9 >
10 > Does someone know a tool that measures CPU performance and gives
11 > live-updates on it?
12 >
13 > My problem is as follows:
14 > I have a desktop PC where the case is too small to include the custom
15 > CPU cooler with fan. However, because the power supply sits directly
16 > above the CPU and the CPU cooler is reasonably effective, I've simply
17 > removed the fan from the CPU cooler and let the fan from the power
18 > supply act as the CPU fan. This works surprisingly well and usually,
19 > the
20 > CPU runs at 50°C.
21 >
22 > During tests with app-benchmarks/cpuburn, the CPU got as hot as 74°C.
23 > According to lm_sensors, this is the threshold for "critical"
24 > temperature (though I find it a bit low - I've seen CPUs running as
25 > high
26 > as 90°C). Therefore I suspect that the CPU gets throttled but I
27 > cannot
28 > verify this with cpuburn because this tool does not output
29 > performance
30 > figures.
31 >
32 > Because of that I'm in a need for a similar tool that also outputs
33 > FIPS,
34 > iterations per second or some other figure while running so that I
35 > can
36 > monitor it for any performance drops. I guess I could just use
37 > mencoder
38 > and watch framerates or I could code something myself but maybe
39 > someone
40 > knows a better tool for this.
41 >
42 > Thanks in advance!