From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Check CPU for throttling
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 09:22:41
1 Hi list!
2
3 Does someone know a tool that measures CPU performance and gives
4 live-updates on it?
5
6 My problem is as follows:
7 I have a desktop PC where the case is too small to include the custom
8 CPU cooler with fan. However, because the power supply sits directly
9 above the CPU and the CPU cooler is reasonably effective, I've simply
10 removed the fan from the CPU cooler and let the fan from the power
11 supply act as the CPU fan. This works surprisingly well and usually, the
12 CPU runs at 50°C.
13
14 During tests with app-benchmarks/cpuburn, the CPU got as hot as 74°C.
15 According to lm_sensors, this is the threshold for "critical"
16 temperature (though I find it a bit low - I've seen CPUs running as high
17 as 90°C). Therefore I suspect that the CPU gets throttled but I cannot
18 verify this with cpuburn because this tool does not output performance
19 figures.
20
21 Because of that I'm in a need for a similar tool that also outputs FIPS,
22 iterations per second or some other figure while running so that I can
23 monitor it for any performance drops. I guess I could just use mencoder
24 and watch framerates or I could code something myself but maybe someone
25 knows a better tool for this.
26
27 Thanks in advance!
28 Florian Philipp