From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:56:46
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >
3 > Now portage has no idea of which packages
4 > are there because you want them, which are there because they are
5 > dependencies of something you want and which are redundant cruft installed
6 > as a dependency of a package you no longer have installed.
7 >
8 > On your system, your packages, their dependencies and the cruft are all
9 > considered part of world.
13 That is correct. What are the disadvantages besides the longer seeks for
14 updates?
15
16 I have no problem with the redundant cruft - when I want just to try
17 some package I do "emerge --pretend" and record the list of dependencies
18 it wants to pull-in. If I decide the package is not useful to me, I
19 "un-emerge" not only the package, but also the dependencies it had
20 pulled-in during its installation.
24 Best regards,
25 Daniel
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list